I'm going to take a little break from documenting the demolition process and show a finished before and after. This room is the Library. When we moved in, it was the master bedroom, or so we were told. It is a small room (about 11' x 13') and it had two doors, one coming in from the living room, and one going in to the bathroom. The bathroom already had a door and the second door was just... awkward. We had no need to keep the master on the first floor, and weren't in need of another "room" down there, so we decided to turn it in to a library.
We took out the original door coming in to the room and covered that hole, we also removed the door going in to the bathroom and covered that opening. We then cut a new opening in to the room through the dining room wall - creating a large opening. We demolished the closet and took out the built-in ironing board cupboard.
|Door leading to the living/dining room. Original door and trim.|
|Rose stenciling, popcorn drop ceiling, the closet and yours truly removing the door jamb.|
While the original woodwork was a great surprise - the glittered popcorn drop ceiling wasn't. The previous post addresses said popcorn ceiling. There was also this lovely rose stenciling all across the top of the walls. Someone went to a lot of work at one point - but it really (REALLY) wasn't my style.
The first thing to go was the nasty carpet. It was a continuation of the baby blue in the living room. Under the carpet was this super dense red carpet pad, then this rather fabulous linoleum - and (no surprise here) more mold. Air flow in a house is SO very important - consult someone who knows what they're doing before you mess with it! This linoleum was super cool - but also covered in mold. If it had been clean and would have come out in one chunk, I think it would have made a wonderful entryway flooring option. But alas, it went to the landfill in itsy-bitsy mould-covered chunks.
|Removing carpet and linoleum in the library.|
|Before - Closet still in tact.|
|After - a pile of rubble!|
Next, and the biggest deal - the drop ceiling. Enter trusty maul and linoleum scraper thing.
|The Husband being strong and stuff.|
More demo of the drop ceiling:
Finally, we got to this point - look at that plaster ceiling! Why would you cover that up?
After much wall patching, the floors being sanded and refinished, and general cleaning, painting and re-wiring of lights and outlets, we have the finished product.
We built the bookshelves using the Kreg Jig my father-in-law purchased for me for Christmas. He was pretty suprised when I asked for a Kreg Jig, turns out the gentleman who came up with the jig went to the same high school as my father-in-law and still lives in the same town as my in-laws. Small world!
The shelves were a breeze to build once we got the hang of the jig. It was the sanding and staining and shellac-ing and polyurethaning that was the hard part.
She turned out pretty well, wouldn't you say?
This room is so sunny with the new archway and the north facing window. I love sneaking in here and curling up with a book or settling down to do some work at the desk. The drop front hides all my computer cords and mess perfectly.
The drawer file cabinet was something we'd picked up on an auction a few years ago. We thought it would be fun to incorporate it into the bookshelf. The curtains were a thrift store find and the pillow was a quick sewing project by me.
It's great to have a room to store our massive collection of books and also a lot of the odds and ends that either have sentimental value or are not used as often as other things.
The brown chair was something my dad picked up on an auction for me. The green chair was something my husband had inherited from a former roommate. The desk was an auction buy at $20 - I stripped the opaque stain and refinished it myself. The painting was purchased from an antique store in Hugo, OK. The rug, magazine holder, and brass picture light were Goodwill finds. Side table came from a cousin of the husband - shipped from Japan.
These sconces were purchased at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, and the glass globes were the husband's great-grandmother's. The paint is Dutch Boy's "Nature's Detail".