Youngbranch1

Youngbranch1
about

Youngbranch shop

Youngbranch shop
shop

younbranchcontact

younbranchcontact
contact

Demolition - Phase I - the Baby Blue Carpet

I've been bad at this.  I've been neglecting the old blog.  I've been a bum internet user... but.... I'm back! 

We have a ton done on the house and I'm excited to share it, but I've got to go back and start at the beginning.  So, back to two months ago, when we were wide-eyed new homeowners with grand schemes and optimism, crowbars, and spring in our steps (not that we don't have those things now, they're just a little, uh, duller). 



The lovely stained, baby blue carpet. 



The day after we moved in to the house, we decided to rip up the carpet in the living/dining room and see what we were looking at as far as wood floors go.  We had pulled a corner up during the home inspection and found 4" red pine floorboards.  We had no idea if they spanned the entire room, had huge holes, or were stained beyond compare.  What we weren't prepared for was this: 



 MOLD!  Everywhere!  Gross, powdery white mold!


Turns out, old houses need to breath.  The carpet pad we ripped up was super dense foam.  I'm guessing the foam pad, carpet, and lack of proper heat control and air movement was what led to the mold.  We bleached the floor about 4 times, then washed it with just water and let her dry out slowly.  We definitely do not intend to put carpet back in, and the paneling has already found a new home.  We have done a better job sealing the crawlspaces and the basement, so the temperature shouldn't vary as drastically from level to level, thus there will not be condensation or mold. 


So far, we haven't had any mold reappear.  We are planning on refinishing the floors right after Christmas.  As you can see, there are spots in the middle of the floors where there is no finish - saved money back in the day - they would only finish the edges which stuck out from the rugs. 

There are numerous places where we've discovered patches and holes, however, none of it is unfixable.  We also discovered there used to be an arch of some sort and french doors in to the north side of the big room.  It would be neat to re-create something like this, but we decided to put an archway in to the library instead and leave the big room as one room. 

The mold was gross, but the floors beneath are unbelievable.  From what I can tell, they haven't ever been refinished - meaning they're nice and thick and able to be sanded down to clean bare boards.  Another awesome perk we discovered later on in demo: the floorboards run underneath the existing walls, so if we were to remove a wall, the floorboards would run beneath said wall (in a nutshell: we won't have to patch in!).   We're saving a huge amount of money by refinishing the floors ourselves. Plus, there's no possible way we could even find red pine or southern pine flooring of this quality, let alone afford it. 

Stay tuned for more updates!